Skip to main content

Some of us grew up being sexually harassed and didn't even know it!

When I was growing up, I knew I was being sexually discriminated against by my parents,but I didn't really realize that the world was going to do it too. However, I remember as a teen being very indignant that my older brother had less strict rules for dating/curfews/social events than I did at the same age.  I thought it was a bunch of bull that he could come home later.

I also remember, being from Missouri, which isn't the South, but isn't not the South, that everyone called you sweetie, honey, etc. And we didn't think it meant anything,until you were older and men called you that and pinched your arm or your cheek and you got that feeling in your stomach that you didn't want them touching you.  

There was slut shaming and the idea that if a girl had a bad reputation that maybe it was her fault the boy did ______________to her.  There weren't any "no means no talks", but more "don't be at the wrong place at the wrong time", you don't want to be thought of as one of those girls.

In other words, I raised to feel like I had to defend myself simply because I was female and I couldn't do all of the things the big strong boys could because it was dangerous.

I never really listened, but it still stuck with me over years. That I had to guard myself against men - because if I didn't then it would be my fault if something happened.  In other words, I always had to be on the defensive. It's an exhaustive way to live, but that is what has been happening for years to anyone that is harassed or discriminated against. But the worst part of this truth is, we didn't know it was a big deal. That's just how it was.  You had to be better, smarter and work harder to prove yourself. Because you start with a mark against you simply by being _____________.  You fill in the blank.

When we talk about changing the world and making the workplace fairer, we are talking about undoing habits and ideals that have been in place for a long long time. Taking an online sexual harassment course will not fix the problem overnight. This is an issue that requires an entire overhaul of how people work with each other and think of each other in the workplace and outside of the workplace.

We have to educate and build leaders that want a stronger culture built on fairness, accountability and transparency.  Workshops, procedures, leadership classes will help to pave the way for the new way of thinking- because there are many who don't know and ever more who don't want to see what has been happening.  Strive to lead forward and build your culture with dignity.

www.weeehelp - workplace ethics etiquette and education.

For more information contact info@weeehelp.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you afraid to take the next step in your relationship?  Ask for the raise at work?  Not sure how to look for a new job or have that difficult conversation with a friend?  If you would like to learn how to take the next step and with coaching on what to say and how to say it - then email me and I will set up a complimentary one-on-one coaching session with you today.  I only have time for 3 new clients - so please don't hesitate to message me at leanne.fuller@weeehelp.com .

Where are the men?

I know -there are land minds everywhere you step. You aren't sure if you should say anything  - because it isn't your issue.  You aren't sure what to say and maybe you don't even want to weigh in. It is an uncomfortable truth that the bias has benefited you simply because of your gender.  However, in this moment and time, you should be part of the conversation. Otherwise your silence is deafening. I realize it might be uncomfortable to talk when you have benefited or turned a blind eye.  But it cannot be any harder than to talk when you have been blacklisted, harassed, or assaulted.  Don't get me wrong, it takes courage to speak out in this current environment. Everyone seems to be judged currently even when trying to do something that could make a positive impact, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying. When Oprah spoke of those little girls watching on their floors as someone like them was speaking on television, it occurred to me that those little gi

Dating sites???

I was recently asked to give my thoughts on dating sites and whether I believe from what I have seen in company's that the sites are helping steer those that might harass away from the workplace because they can engage with women online. I have no scientific analysis of this idea, but I do have a lot of feedback from women and men that I know that are on dating sites.  And here is my thought.  I think that dating sites and even technology have dehumanized dating in many ways.  I know, you are going to tell me that a third of all relationships start these days online.  I am not going to disagree that many people find each other in this way.  But I also have seen among my friends a surge in being dropped/ignored- ghosted.  If you aren't familiar, being ghosted is the equivalent of being stood up, but through technology.  You are texting, snapping, communicating with a person that you met on a site or even in person and suddenly they stop responding to anything you say. Comp