Skip to main content

Sexual Harassment isn't about sex! It's about POWER


I was recently on a plane back to Los Angeles from San Francisco.  Towards the end of the flight, the man in the middle seat and I starting chatting.When he asked what I did, I told him I had a consulting firm that worked with company cultures.  And that we specialized in sexual harassment issues.  He shook his head and said, “I don’t understand sexual harassment.” At first, I thought he meant he didn’t understand how any one could sexual harass someone. But upon further questioning what he really meant was,  "I don’t understand how it can even happen."

I was a little dumbfounded.  He was 30 years old, white and male from Chicago. He seemed relatively intelligent and very polite.  And I started thinking about what sexual harassment really is and how it could be hard to understand.  But I realized the word "sexual" catches every one's attention and that distracts them from the truth.  The truth is that sexual harassment is the act of a bully.  Just like bullies found in the school yard. Bullies want to feel powerful over others, so they can feel good about themselves.  It is usually someone with low self-esteem and a mean streak.  When you realize this you realize that in order to sexually harass someone you must hold some form of power or control over them. And that is what makes sexual harassment an issue.  If a guy that I work with asks me out and he doesn’t have any control over my pay, my job, my life, then it’s relatively easy to say no.  Or even, yes.  But the real problem is about where the power lies.  Without that control, there is no leverage and then there is no sexual harassment.  I think the reason this man didn’t understand sexual harassment is that he predominately feels like he is in a position of power.  And so – it’s seems simple, why can’t these women just say no?

A few months ago, Eric Trump said, “Powerful women like his sister don’t tolerate sexual harassment” and he was attacked by many for the statement.  I was one of the attackers. I felt like his statement implied that if a women was sexually harassed it was her fault because she was weak. But  after really thinking through the issue I think he was somewhat right when he said powerful women don't tolerate sexual harassment.  A more accurate statement would be, "Powerful women don't have to tolerate sexual harassment.  If they have money, ownership and control then they are in the position of power.   For instance, Ms. Trump has the authority to fire people ,the money to choose not to work with someone and the influence to keep others from working with them.  Without those controls, you are left in fear when the bully is in front of you.


Sexual harassment is about power. It’s that simple.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you afraid to take the next step in your relationship?  Ask for the raise at work?  Not sure how to look for a new job or have that difficult conversation with a friend?  If you would like to learn how to take the next step and with coaching on what to say and how to say it - then email me and I will set up a complimentary one-on-one coaching session with you today.  I only have time for 3 new clients - so please don't hesitate to message me at leanne.fuller@weeehelp.com .

Where are the men?

I know -there are land minds everywhere you step. You aren't sure if you should say anything  - because it isn't your issue.  You aren't sure what to say and maybe you don't even want to weigh in. It is an uncomfortable truth that the bias has benefited you simply because of your gender.  However, in this moment and time, you should be part of the conversation. Otherwise your silence is deafening. I realize it might be uncomfortable to talk when you have benefited or turned a blind eye.  But it cannot be any harder than to talk when you have been blacklisted, harassed, or assaulted.  Don't get me wrong, it takes courage to speak out in this current environment. Everyone seems to be judged currently even when trying to do something that could make a positive impact, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying. When Oprah spoke of those little girls watching on their floors as someone like them was speaking on television, it occurred to me that those little gi

Dating sites???

I was recently asked to give my thoughts on dating sites and whether I believe from what I have seen in company's that the sites are helping steer those that might harass away from the workplace because they can engage with women online. I have no scientific analysis of this idea, but I do have a lot of feedback from women and men that I know that are on dating sites.  And here is my thought.  I think that dating sites and even technology have dehumanized dating in many ways.  I know, you are going to tell me that a third of all relationships start these days online.  I am not going to disagree that many people find each other in this way.  But I also have seen among my friends a surge in being dropped/ignored- ghosted.  If you aren't familiar, being ghosted is the equivalent of being stood up, but through technology.  You are texting, snapping, communicating with a person that you met on a site or even in person and suddenly they stop responding to anything you say. Comp