Skip to main content
I feel like it's getting hard to read the news and see all of the people that are being accused as harassers.  But imagine all of the people they have harassed and what it must be like for them.  And that's when it all gets heavier.  It feels like all men are bad.  But that isn't true.  Men have had the luxury of not having to worry about what they say and do because of their positions and because we as a society like to grant reprieve's based on generational issues.  I do it. But we have to stop.  In order to really make the changes that clearly need to be made, we have to talk about the uncomfortable issues.  And we have to allow men to ask questions - even if we as women think they should know the answers.  Because they may not.  But if they are asking, then they are stepping onto the road of growing and evolving and working towards the behavior we want to have happen.  We can't banish all men as bad.  We can, but then what do we do?  We need to hold those that are conducting themselves in a harassing manner accountable.  And then we need to talk to everyone else.  Because that is how we move forward. 

When I was harassed, everyone said don't talk about it.  Even now, people tell me that.  But if we don't talk about it, it can't change.  And things have to change.  Burying our heads in the sand or deciding that one gender is the enemy is not the way to make the world better.  And if we do that.  If we decide to not have women in the workplace or not mentor them.  If we decide all men are bad - which somehow gives them an out - in a way, then we have simply put a curtain over the problem with sweeping generalities.  This is a complex problem.  And we need to deal with it on many levels, but the first one is talking and being open to talking about what harassment is. What gender bias means and how it affects what is happening.   When we have these difficult conversations, we are going to say the wrong thing sometimes.  But if we are willing to do the work and have the conversations we can create a dialogue that allows for growth.  Maybe there is an assumption that we have or an intention we think comes with a comment that isn't true at all.  Maybe a compliment, was simply a compliment.  Maybe it wasn't.  But we have to talk about it.

I grew u pin Missouri where people call you names like "sweetie"  or "honey".  This could be found offensive by an employee.  I know that when a colleague calls me something like that - I don't find it appropriate.  However, I have done that with my employees.  It comes from the affection I have for them much like when I address my family.  It's wrong and I immediately apologize.  If I were a man, this would hold even more meaning to the receiver and possibly the speaker.  The point is that this is a mistake, but not one with malicious intent and while it needs to be addressed and I have learned to not do it, this is a place where a conversation can be had to work to improve the communication rather than banishing the speaker to the depths of uncaring or deviant harasser.  If these words come with physical touching or additional comments - then there may be more to the story.  So either way we need to talk - we need to work - we need to grow and that will build a new workplace and a new society.  But we can't ignore the issue....or the people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where are the men?

I know -there are land minds everywhere you step. You aren't sure if you should say anything  - because it isn't your issue.  You aren't sure what to say and maybe you don't even want to weigh in. It is an uncomfortable truth that the bias has benefited you simply because of your gender.  However, in this moment and time, you should be part of the conversation. Otherwise your silence is deafening. I realize it might be uncomfortable to talk when you have benefited or turned a blind eye.  But it cannot be any harder than to talk when you have been blacklisted, harassed, or assaulted.  Don't get me wrong, it takes courage to speak out in this current environment. Everyone seems to be judged currently even when trying to do something that could make a positive impact, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying. When Oprah spoke of those little girls watching on their floors as someone like them was speaking on television, it occurred to me that those little gi

It's not a moment!

Leading the way in changing the workplace on issues such as sexual harassment, gender bias and equal opportunities is no longer a suggestion. This isn't a moment that is going to pass. This is movement that is going grow. It is going to be imperative that you are taking the initiative to make sure that you are holding your employees accountable for their actions. This can only happen if you have a culture that supports transparency and believes in holding people accountable.  Companies must invest in building leaders that support these beliefs. In Oprah Winfrey's incredible speech at the Golden Globes tonight she said,"For too long women have not been heard or believed if they dare speak the truth to the Power of those men. But their time is up!"  She and many others are speaking to a call to all to speak out.  And not just in Hollywood but across all industry's.  This is a time to step forward make a stronger future. And we need everyone to be a part of

Dating sites???

I was recently asked to give my thoughts on dating sites and whether I believe from what I have seen in company's that the sites are helping steer those that might harass away from the workplace because they can engage with women online. I have no scientific analysis of this idea, but I do have a lot of feedback from women and men that I know that are on dating sites.  And here is my thought.  I think that dating sites and even technology have dehumanized dating in many ways.  I know, you are going to tell me that a third of all relationships start these days online.  I am not going to disagree that many people find each other in this way.  But I also have seen among my friends a surge in being dropped/ignored- ghosted.  If you aren't familiar, being ghosted is the equivalent of being stood up, but through technology.  You are texting, snapping, communicating with a person that you met on a site or even in person and suddenly they stop responding to anything you say. Comp